Feb 15, 2013
If content is King, why not take our test?
If you haven’t picked up on the tactic of driving traffic to your online sites with content I’m sorry. I guess that you have missed more than 400 posts on the Creative Energy site over the past couple of years. The whole idea is to provide new reasons to hang out with your brand by providing relevant information, photos, video, etc. that your target audience will find of value. Secondarily, content provides new reasons for search engines to find you and direct those looking for your expertise to you and your products or services.
Here are five true and false questions that can test your content I.Q.:
1. True or False – I think that it is important that I post something new on my website, social media sites or blog in the last 7 days. Answer: True. That is the minimum amount of posts of fresh content to your website to send the message that your brand is vibrant, engaged and a leader within your product/service category. For your social media sites, 3 to 5 posts are needed.
2. True or False – I believe that I should always point to a product or service offering within my content that tells my potential customers to buy now. Answer: False. There is nothing more annoying than posts that scream buy me now. My formula is 70% – 80% of our content should bring value to learning to those who take the time to review it and only 20% – 30% of the content pointing to a solution that our company can provide.
3. True or False – When I’ve posted something new, I’m done until my next post. Answer: False. Don’t forget to tag each post with key words that relate to your post that you believe will be top of mind within your target audience. For this post, I will tag it with terms such as ‘content marketing’, ‘content marketing tips’. This increases the chance that your post will be picked up by search engines. If you are reading this, it may be because of the tags I have inserted along with the content. There are other methods for optimizing your content that are a bit more complicated to discuss in this post.
4. True or False – I don’t have the access or knowledge in how to create videos. Are videos important? Answer: True. Video content has a 10X higher click thru rate compared to text. If you don’t have the expertise, either hire someone who does or find an agency partner who can provide relevant video content. Remember, YouTube is the second largest search engine available.
5. True or False – I don’t have time for content marketing. Neither does my staff. Is it really that important? Answer: True (Are You Kidding Me?). About 12% – 20% of marketing budgets are now allocated to generating content. If you don’t have the time, then hire a trusted partner to do the work for you. Make sure that they not only have the ability to write relevant articles and shoot video, but that they possess the understanding of how to make your content visible to your target customers.
I hope that you passed our test and are actively engaged in bringing fresh content to your online store front.